Rules & Guidelines
The 2014 Freelancer.com Internet Scavenger Hunt (Scavenger Hunt or Hunt) will be a lot of fun, full of surprises, cryptic questions and totally wild requests. With thousands of people competing from all over the world you and your team have the chance to make your mark and potentially prove yourselves to be the best scavenger hunters IN THE WORLD – imagine having that on your resume! We're going for a Guinness World Record for this event, so invite all your friends to join in too!
- To enter the Hunt, you (Entrant or you or your) agree to be bound by the rules applying to the Hunt (Rules). By way of summary (and subject to the detailed Rules set out in section 3 below): All items and tasks on the Scavenger Hunt list must be obtained or performed legally. Any illegal acts will result in your team being disqualified from the event. By competing in the Scavenger Hunt, you acknowledge that you take complete responsibility for your actions. Remember, you're here to have fun, work hard, party even harder and not end up in jail.
- Entry into the competition is free.
- The Hunt is open to anyone, no matter where you live. All other alien life forms must contact Freelancer staff directly to apply. Contestants must be registered members of Freelancer.com (which is free, you can sign up at the hunt website) and must join the contest in their own private personal capacity.
- No man is an island, well unless you are, which is totally cool because we do not discriminate. So first and foremost form a team! Form a university, school or college team. If you have a dog walking group, book club or veterans group, sign up too! We think that global crowdsourcing is the best way to get work done, so why not join up with others on the opposite side of the planet to conquer the Hunt! Some questions require tasks to be performed literally at all points on the globe, so the more diverse your team is, the better. Use Facebook, Twitter or our friends finder on the Hunt homepage to find team members!
- All communication with the judges during the Scavenger Hunt must be performed through Freelancer.com's Facebook page at (http://www.facebook.com/fansoffreelancer). Questions and answers will be posted on the Facebook page so we are all up to date. Questions emailed, tweeted, posted, sent through the support desk, smoke signals or sent by homing pigeon will not be answered.
- Now here is the most important part, a wise man once said you don’t need more friends than you can count on one hand (otherwise it just gets too confusing and you need to buy far too many birthday presents) so teams must have 5 members only to be eligible to compete. No more. No less. Only have 4 friends in your team, not a problem, we will connect you with a super scavenger hunter from around the world through the main portal. If you do not have 5 members in your team at any given time your team account will be frozen and you will not be able to submit any tasks until you fill your team to 5 members. Team members can leave their team at any time by their own volition. No team member can be kicked off, forced out or asked to leave. All tasks remain property of the team and they cannot be smuggled out in your backpack should you decide to leave your team.
- Pay attention to the questions. Entries which do not meet the required submission format will be automatically rejected.
- We are a social bunch at Freelancer and we want you and your team to get as much recognition as possible for the hard work you will put in! So remember to promote, tweet, Facebook post, chat to journalists, your mom and the local radio station about all the challenges you have completed. Talking to your pillow is not as effective however if it makes you feel happy we strongly support it.
- All teams must have their team logo and name printed onto the official 2014 Freelancer.com Scavenger Hunt template. The official template will be released once the questions are made available. All image and video submissions must show the team logo on the official template in the entry. The official template can be downloaded here. Entries that do not comply with this will be regarded as invalid and rejected. To really stand out from the crowd, get creative on how you showcase your logo and ours!
- All video submissions are to be uploaded to YouTube as a public video, and linked in the task entry form. Image uploads are made directly on the form, or alternately must be taken using Instagram and the URL uploaded. Freelancer loves the amazing effort each team goes to and we will use all photos, images and videos submitted as part of the Scavenger Hunt for marketing and promotional material. We may even stick our favorite photos above our desks.
- All point decisions by the judges are final. Sending flowers, chocolate, ponies or boats to our offices will not get you bonus points, although you are still welcome to send these through at any stage. Points will be awarded based upon your originality of submission, the effort put in, how well you meet the criteria outlined in the question, and how hilarious you are in doing it.
- Any entry that is clearly and objectively insulting, sexist, offensive, racist, crude, intolerant and all sorts of other words similar to 'inappropriate' will be automatically disqualified. All entries must place Freelancer.com in a positive light. Acts that bring Freelancer.com into disrepute will result in disqualification of the team.
- By submitting your entry to the Scavenger Hunt you grant Freelancer and its subsidiaries a worldwide, royalty-free exclusive license to use, modify, reproduce, distribute, transmit, publish, and publicly and privately display the entry including any modifications in any media, for commercial purposes, such as promoting Freelancer and its products, services and projects. These rights may be exercised by third parties authorised by Freelancer. You understand that you will not be paid in connection with any exercise of these rights.
- Submissions must be made through the web interface at [http://scavenger.freelancer.com] (http://scavenger.freelancer.com) or mobile application available on this site. Entries we receive through other mechanisms will be sent to the bit bucket at /dev/null. Registrations for the Hunt will open at 12:00am (Midnight) EST (New York) Tuesday 4th of February. The 2014 Freelancer.com Internet Scavenger Hunt list will be released at 12:00am (Midnight) EST Friday 14th of February. The hunt will close at 12:00am (Midnight) EST (New York) on Friday the 28th of February. No late entries will be accepted.
- Judging will take place from our secret lair deep under the Earths surface, in Sydney, Australia. We will have a team of experts in all things from backgammon to oenology who will apply their considerable knowledge to judging all of the entries. The entries will be judged against predetermined criteria for each task. All winners will be announced by the 31st of March. Winners will be announced on our Facebook Page and teams will be notified individually. If a team cannot be contacted within 1 month of announcement then another winner will be chosen. Money will be evenly distributed into each team members accounts once finalized.
- There are 7 prizes available. The Grand Prize is a whopping US$20,000. The team that does the second most tasks will win US$5,000. We also have 5 special category prizes for teams that do something a little special, a little extraordinary. The winners of these categories will all win $1,000 and winners of the Grand or Second Place Prize are still eligible to win the special category prizes. The prizes are as follows:
Freelancer.com reserves the right to display all entries submitted. We are not liable in any manner, for entries lost, delayed, damaged or stolen by pirates. Nor for any of the actions of you team.
We reserve the right to change the Rules at any time during the competition.
All decisions made by the judges are final. Arguing with the judged over submissions may result in making them really angry. You don't want to do this.
Most of all, have FUN!
- The entry that best promotes and supports the charity of their choice. NB this relates to questions in the hunt!
- The best quality video of an entry produced that promotes their team, the entry and the Freelancer Scavenger Hunt.
- The entry that gets the most publicity in mainstream media.
- The entry that goes viral on social media; Reddit, Twitter, FB.
- The entry that has the coolest celebrity endorsement! Must mention Freelancer.com. Don’t have access to a celebrity? Get someone doing an AMA on Reddit to endorse your team, go on, let’s see your sales skills!